Recipe: Vegan Chilli Bean Stew
I hadn’t planned to feature recipes on here, but this was far too good not to share!
I wish I’d taken a photo of this, but it was so good I couldn’t resist posting about it anyway! This is my recipe, completely improvised on the spot last night, for a cheap, filling and utterly delicious vegan meal that even my carnivore of a boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed. We wanted something wholesome and wintery for dinner, and this was what I came up with!
1 Can of Kidney Beans in chilli sauce (or without, but add more tabasco later!)
1 Can of tomatoes
1 very large onion or a couple of smaller ones
1 large red sweet pepper, chopped
1 small can of sweetcorn (there was half a large can left in the ‘fridge that needed using up!)
Garlic – lots, depending on your taste!
Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Sage, salt and pepper!
Marmite (or veggie stock cubes / fresh stock, or beef stock if you’re not bothered about the vegan aspect!)
A little oil for frying
1. Chop the onion roughly and fry it in the oil until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute or so, then add the chopped red pepper, the sweetcorn, salt and pepper. Fry for a further couple of minutes until the red pepper starts to soften.
3. Pour in the tomatoes and the kidney beans, and stir. Add two large teaspoons of marmite (it’s great for giving it a “meaty” flavour whilst being totally meat-free) or two stock cubes, and stir.
4. Add herbs to taste – I added a couple of teaspoons of each, and added a little more parsley towards the end when almost ready to serve. Splash in a little tabasco, again to taste, if required (depending on how hot the chilli sauce in the beans is of course!)
5. Turn the heat down low, put the lid on and let it cook for about 10 minutes to let the flavours mingle. (or longer, depending on how hungry you are!)
6. Stir and serve in bowls with a slice of bread on the side, or on baked potatoes, or rice, or pretty much anything you’d serve chilli with really!
Filed under: Food, Recipes | 4 Comments
Tags: chilli, Food, Recipe, vegan, vegetarian